The old Saint-Lambert Cathedral of Liège stood up on the actual location of the Place Saint-Lambert.
During the french occupation, the civil administration decided to destruct the church, the old symbol of the bishops. The short return of the Prince Bishops avoids the demolition before 1794.
In 1795, when Liège is definitely french, the cathedral is looted by the Republic soldiers and the destruction began. A big pile of stones was lying on the ground during 25 years. In 1827, the ground is levelled and flattened.
Below, 3 images of the Saint-Lambert cathedral before, during et after the demolition.